It’s the beginning of a new year and your chance to finally de-clutter your space to make way for a productive and successful year. We’ve compiled a list of our favorite organizational tips to help you make 2017 your best year ever!
1. Create a space for everything! You’ve probably heard the old expression a place for everything and everything in its place. There’s a reason wise people came up with this saying. Less clutter in your physical space also creates less clutter in your mind thus freeing you to be more productive. One of our favorite office organizational items is a desk sorter. This handy desk sorter will help you separate Urgent, Important, In-Coming or Out-Going items with ease. See below in our Specials section of some great desk sorter options.
2. Set Mini Goals. Rome was not built in a day and your transformation to a highly organized lifestyle probably won’t happen overnight either. Start with a small organization project to get going. Your desk is one of the most effective places to start and can be organized pretty quickly. Sort out what’s on your desk now into the following groups: Use Every Day, It’s Simply Decoration, and Loose Papers That Need a Home! Clean everything off and only allow yourself to replace the things that are critical to your job. IE your computer and a phone and go from there. Everything else on your desk could truly go somewhere else including writing utensils. Make critical decisions and that you can live with going forward.
3. Take the Next Step – Your Filing System. Clearing out paper files and creating an organizational system might seem overwhelming, but take heart! You have help! Your Great River Office Products sales representative is a really good resource for ideas on setting up a new filing system. We know the tricks, tips, and new products that will take your file mess to file bliss.
4. The Pending Place. Filing absolutely everything the moment it touches your desk is not reality, so it is beneficial to create a spot for pending items. The trick to the Pending Place is to keep it under control. If you end up with a pile 2 feet deep, it’s no help to your organized life. This space is a spot to hold things for a few hours up to a few days.
5. The 15-minute Clean Up. For many, the most challenging part of getting organized is staying organized. That’s why incorporating 15 minutes at the end of your workday to “get things in order” is an essential habit to develop. Clean off your desk so the next morning you can start fresh with a clear space and a clear mind.